Antioch California is primarily known as a bedroom community. Most adults commute to the larger cities of Oakland and San Francisco. More local employers are popping up all the time, though. A pretty recent example is the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center.
Though not as large as the cities on the west side of Willow Pass, Antioch would not be considered small either. There are over 100,000 people living in Antioch and it continues to grow. Reasons for that growth are many; number one being housing costs. People from the more expensive areas to the west are moving here for the more affordable housing. There are a lot of houses in Antioch! Old Victorians from the late 1800’s and homes from every decade right up until those being built today!
The commute and other travel are undergoing constant improvement. Highway 4, the primary east-west route is in the final stages of a multi-year widening project. BART is in the process of building an extension to Antioch. Train tracks come through Antioch right along the river. The Amtrak runs on that track and stops at the Antioch Amtrak Station. Finally, the County Connection bus system serves Antioch as well.
Antioch is actually a very old town for California. It was begun by the early pioneer John Marsh in 1848 and got the name Antioch some years later after the biblical city of Antioch.
A River Runs Through It
A river runs by Antioch. The San Joaquin River. Actually, the San Joaquin River and Sacramento River's join near Antioch before continuing out to San Francisco Bay. There are plenty of boat travel and recreation activities related to water of course. There are the Antioch municipal marina and other private marinas, a couple of fishing piers, boatyards, and yacht clubs.
Recreation is abundant in and around Antioch! The Antioch City Recreation Guide alone is 36 pages long! One very popular summer family activity is at the Antioch Water Park. This park is particularly well suited to small children.
To the north of the city lies Contra Loma Regional Park which borders Black Diamond Mines Regional Park. There are thousands of acres of rolling hills with miles and miles of interconnected trails. From here you will have spectacular views of Antioch and the Delta. In Contra Loma, Regional Park is the Contra Loma Reservoir with a hiking trail around the lake and connecting trails leading in many directions. There’s fishing in the reservoir and swimming in the swimming area.
Many people don’t realize that the “mines” in Black Diamond Mines Regional Park were once prosperous coal mines. There were even towns built up around these mines where immigrant coal miners from Wales made their homes. When the mines shut down, the miner’s buildings were dismantled and moved or moved intact by horsepower to old town Antioch. The graveyards with their stone monuments are all that remains of the towns. Would you like to take a tour of an old coal mine? You can! Check it out!
Current Real Estate Listings in Antioch California
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 2/20/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
- $698,0003 beds, 4 baths1,379 sqftMLS 40853945
- $1,225,0004 beds, 3 baths2,585 sqft lot 9,147 sqftMLS 40853943
- $469,9002 beds, 2 baths1,240 sqft lot 7,840 sqftMLS 40853938
- $1,075,0003 beds, 3 baths2,023 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40853933
- $1,539,0005 beds, 4 baths3,125 sqft lot 11,325 sqftMLS 40853930
- $1,025,0004 beds, 3 baths2,561 sqft lot 6,969 sqftMLS 40853928
- $1,480,0004 beds, 3 baths2,389 sqft lot 21,780 sqftMLS 40853927
- $699,0004 beds, 2 baths1,892 sqft lot 10,890 sqftMLS 40853926
- $549,9504 beds, 3 baths2,084 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40853925
- $714,9004 beds, 3 baths2,748 sqft lot 9,583 sqftMLS 40853924
- $1,359,0005 beds, 5 baths3,148 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40853918
- $925,0002 beds, 3 baths1,964 sqft lot 3,920 sqftMLS 40853917
- 3 beds, 3 baths1,763 sqftMLS 40853913
- $1,499,0004 beds, 3 baths2,423 sqft lot 17,859 sqftMLS 40853912
- $277,5005 beds, 3 baths2,487 sqft lot 12,196 sqftMLS 27244808
- 3 beds, 3 baths1,623 sqft lot 1,306 sqftMLS 27244768
- $186,5005 beds, 3 baths2,145 sqft lot 4,791 sqftMLS 27243617
- $148,5003 beds, 2 baths1,481 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 27242659
- $515,0004 beds, 3 baths3,488 sqft lot 1.03 acMLS 27502201
- $187,5004 beds, 3 baths2,132 sqft lot 7,405 sqftMLS 27329591
- $400,0005 beds, 4 baths3,189 sqft lot 10,890 sqftMLS 27329488
- $150,9503 beds, 2 baths1,372 sqft lot 5,227 sqftMLS 27329500
- $109,9503 beds, 1 bath1,053 sqft lot 6,098 sqftMLS 27329124
- $341,0004 beds, 3 baths1,972 sqft lot 11,761 sqftMLS 27245482
- $105,0003 beds, 2 baths1,171 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 27245388
This Real Estate IDX is (c) Diverse Solutions 2019.