Antioch California is primarily known as a bedroom community. Most adults commute to the larger cities of Oakland and San Francisco. More local employers are popping up all the time, though. A pretty recent example is the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center.
Though not as large as the cities on the west side of Willow Pass, Antioch would not be considered small either. There are over 100,000 people living in Antioch and it continues to grow. Reasons for that growth are many; number one being housing costs. People from the more expensive areas to the west are moving here for the more affordable housing. There are a lot of houses in Antioch! Old Victorians from the late 1800’s and homes from every decade right up until those being built today!
The commute and other travel are undergoing constant improvement. Highway 4, the primary east-west route is in the final stages of a multi-year widening project. BART is in the process of building an extension to Antioch. Train tracks come through Antioch right along the river. The Amtrak runs on that track and stops at the Antioch Amtrak Station. Finally, the County Connection bus system serves Antioch as well.
Antioch is actually a very old town for California. It was begun by the early pioneer John Marsh in 1848 and got the name Antioch some years later after the biblical city of Antioch.
A River Runs Through It
A river runs by Antioch. The San Joaquin River. Actually, the San Joaquin River and Sacramento River's join near Antioch before continuing out to San Francisco Bay. There are plenty of boat travel and recreation activities related to water of course. There are the Antioch municipal marina and other private marinas, a couple of fishing piers, boatyards, and yacht clubs.
Recreation is abundant in and around Antioch! The Antioch City Recreation Guide alone is 36 pages long! One very popular summer family activity is at the Antioch Water Park. This park is particularly well suited to small children.
To the north of the city lies Contra Loma Regional Park which borders Black Diamond Mines Regional Park. There are thousands of acres of rolling hills with miles and miles of interconnected trails. From here you will have spectacular views of Antioch and the Delta. In Contra Loma, Regional Park is the Contra Loma Reservoir with a hiking trail around the lake and connecting trails leading in many directions. There’s fishing in the reservoir and swimming in the swimming area.
Many people don’t realize that the “mines” in Black Diamond Mines Regional Park were once prosperous coal mines. There were even towns built up around these mines where immigrant coal miners from Wales made their homes. When the mines shut down, the miner’s buildings were dismantled and moved or moved intact by horsepower to old town Antioch. The graveyards with their stone monuments are all that remains of the towns. Would you like to take a tour of an old coal mine? You can! Check it out!
Current Real Estate Listings in Antioch California
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 4/20/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
- $138,0004 beds, 2 baths1,431 sqft lot 5,663 sqftMLS 27329980
- $565,0004 beds, 3 baths2,751 sqftMLS 10249610
- $187,4503 beds, 2 baths1,144 sqftMLS 10503761
- $157,5003 beds, 1 bath1,200 sqftMLS 10249298
- $520,0004 beds, 3 baths2,523 sqftMLS 10248981
- $575,0004 beds, 4 baths3,200 sqftMLS 10248920
- 3 beds, 2 baths938 sqftMLS 10456133
- $164,0003 beds, 1 bath1,125 sqftMLS 10248724
- 3 beds, 2 baths1,545 sqftMLS 10246981
- $409,0004 beds, 3 baths2,548 sqftMLS 10596264
- $184,0003 beds, 2 baths1,110 sqftMLS 10503310
- $190,0004 beds, 3 baths2,245 sqftMLS 10248172
- $129,0003 beds, 1 bath1,200 sqftMLS 10246121
- 3 beds, 3 baths1,697 sqftMLS 10248016
- $104,9501 bed, 1 bath872 sqftMLS 10246045
- $529,9504 beds, 3 baths2,120 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40861897
- $659,0004 beds, 3 baths2,810 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40861894
- $355,0002 beds, 2 baths1,464 sqftMLS 10249539
- $429,0005 beds, 3 baths2,858 sqftMLS 10248520
- $121,0003 beds, 2 baths1,070 sqftMLS 10245772
- $239,0003 beds, 2 baths1,470 sqftMLS 10248852
- $194,9463 beds, 3 baths1,602 sqftMLS 10249355
- $153,0003 beds, 2 baths1,103 sqftMLS 10246584
- $208,0004 beds, 3 baths2,000 sqftMLS 10249313
- $102,5002 beds, 7 baths1,030 sqftMLS 10248742
- $162,0003 beds, 2 baths1,400 sqftMLS 10244000
- $910,0004 beds, 3 baths3,499 sqftMLS 10249474
- $222,5005 beds, 3 baths2,572 sqft lot 8,712 sqftMLS 28249699
- $187,4503 beds, 2 baths1,144 sqft lot 6,099 sqftMLS 27503761
- $184,0003 beds, 2 baths1,110 sqftMLS 27503310
Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. This information is being provided by the Bay East MLS, or CCAR MLS, or bridgeMLS. The listings presented here may or may not be listed by the Broker/Agent operating this website. This information is intended for the personal use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data last updated at 4/20/19 8:26 AM PDT.
This IDX Solution is (c) Diverse Solutions 2019.