Antioch California is primarily known as a bedroom community. Most adults commute to the larger cities of Oakland and San Francisco. More local employers are popping up all the time, though. A pretty recent example is the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center.
Though not as large as the cities on the west side of Willow Pass, Antioch would not be considered small either. There are over 100,000 people living in Antioch and it continues to grow. Reasons for that growth are many; number one being housing costs. People from the more expensive areas to the west are moving here for the more affordable housing. There are a lot of houses in Antioch! Old Victorians from the late 1800’s and homes from every decade right up until those being built today!
The commute and other travel are undergoing constant improvement. Highway 4, the primary east-west route is in the final stages of a multi-year widening project. BART is in the process of building an extension to Antioch. Train tracks come through Antioch right along the river. The Amtrak runs on that track and stops at the Antioch Amtrak Station. Finally, the County Connection bus system serves Antioch as well.
Antioch is actually a very old town for California. It was begun by the early pioneer John Marsh in 1848 and got the name Antioch some years later after the biblical city of Antioch.
A River Runs Through It
A river runs by Antioch. The San Joaquin River. Actually, the San Joaquin River and Sacramento River's join near Antioch before continuing out to San Francisco Bay. There are plenty of boat travel and recreation activities related to water of course. There are the Antioch municipal marina and other private marinas, a couple of fishing piers, boatyards, and yacht clubs.
Recreation is abundant in and around Antioch! The Antioch City Recreation Guide alone is 36 pages long! One very popular summer family activity is at the Antioch Water Park. This park is particularly well suited to small children.
To the north of the city lies Contra Loma Regional Park which borders Black Diamond Mines Regional Park. There are thousands of acres of rolling hills with miles and miles of interconnected trails. From here you will have spectacular views of Antioch and the Delta. In Contra Loma, Regional Park is the Contra Loma Reservoir with a hiking trail around the lake and connecting trails leading in many directions. There’s fishing in the reservoir and swimming in the swimming area.
Many people don’t realize that the “mines” in Black Diamond Mines Regional Park were once prosperous coal mines. There were even towns built up around these mines where immigrant coal miners from Wales made their homes. When the mines shut down, the miner’s buildings were dismantled and moved or moved intact by horsepower to old town Antioch. The graveyards with their stone monuments are all that remains of the towns. Would you like to take a tour of an old coal mine? You can! Check it out!
Current Real Estate Listings in Antioch California
- Lot Size5,662 sqftHome Size2,244 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths3 baths
- Lot Size4,791 sqftHome Size1,482 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 baths
- Lot Size6,969 sqftHome Size2,832 sq ftBeds5 bedsBaths3 baths
- Lot Size6,098 sqftHome Size2,351 sq ftBeds5 bedsBaths3 baths
- Lot SizeN/AHome Size782 sq ftBeds2 bedsBaths1 bath
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 12/19/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
- $329,5003 beds, 2 baths1,501 sqft lot 1,501.00 acMLS 40848409
- 5 beds, 3 baths3,282 sqft lot 6,534 sqftMLS 40848406
- $1,099,9995 beds, 2 baths2,547 sqft lot 11,935 sqftMLS 40848403
- 3 beds, 2 baths1,215 sqftMLS 40453479
- 2 beds, 2 baths950 sqft lot 1,742 sqftMLS 40848401
- $799,9463 beds, 3 baths1,631 sqft lot 7,840 sqftMLS 40848397
- $565,0003 beds, 3 baths2,100 sqft lot 5,793 sqftMLS 40848390
- $385,0003 beds, 2 baths1,167 sqft lot 7,222 sqftMLS 40848386
- $449,5004 beds, 3 baths1,872 sqft lot 43,560 sqftMLS 40848384
- $489,3004 beds, 3 baths1,960 sqft lot 7,840 sqftMLS 40848383
- 3 beds, 3 baths1,910 sqftMLS 10244363
- $127,5003 beds, 2 baths1,265 sqftMLS 27329247
- $185,5004 beds, 2 baths2,812 sqft lot 4,791 sqftMLS 27328985
- $156,4004 beds, 2 baths1,837 sqft lot 4,356 sqftMLS 27327858
- $135,0003 beds, 2 baths1,812 sqft lot 10,018 sqftMLS 27327675
- $111,0002 beds, 1 bath792 sqft lot 7,840 sqftMLS 27237546
- $160,0002 beds, 1 bath1,427 sqft lot 38,768 sqftMLS 27236358
- $306,0004 beds, 4 baths3,333 sqft lot 10,018 sqftMLS 25321087
- $323,5004 beds, 3 baths2,240 sqftMLS 10598874
- $349,0004 beds, 2 baths2,210 sqftMLS 10597843
- $173,0003 beds, 2 baths1,300 sqftMLS 10241252
- 2 beds, 2 baths1,016 sqftMLS 10326331
- $184,5003 beds, 2 baths1,249 sqftMLS 10594545
- $129,9503 beds, 2 baths1,196 sqftMLS 10242948
- $450,0006 beds, 3 baths3,020 sqft lot 5,231 sqftMLS 40611824
- 1 bed, 1 bath560 sqftMLS 40682233
- $410,0003 beds, 2 baths1,652 sqft lot 7,950 sqftMLS 40652289
- $260,0003 beds, 2 baths1,176 sqft lot 7,840 sqftMLS 40636190
- $287,9993 beds, 2 baths1,175 sqft lot 6,098 sqftMLS 40635629
This MLS IDX is (c) Diverse Solutions 2018.